Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wedding Thoughts

Numerous people have asked how I’m feeling leading up to the wedding.

I was initially feeling pretty cool about it. After all, this was something my fiancee and I have been talking about and planning for over a year now. To think and talk about it again wasn’t exactly something that would send butterflies up our stomachs. In fact, we were somewhat amused at the reaction of the people around us when we made the announcement. We have been together a long long time, and I think most people thought it was just a matter of time before we tied the knot.


I don’t know if every marrying couple goes through this, but we were genuinely surprised not so much on how people react to it (which was positive) but rather the intensity to it. People would say to us “Oh my God, I can’t believe you’re getting married! I’m so excited!”…….. or something along those lines.


I suspect maybe it’s because given our age, we are one of the earlier ones amongst our friends to actually be taking this next step. Hence the whole feeling of novelty is there… that one of their personal friends, and not some uncle or auntie’s son is getting married.


Some people in the older generation, knowing the hardship that my fiancee and I have individually gone through in life, seem to feel happy (and relief almost) that we seem to be emerging and moving on from the ghost of our past.


But in the end, what it really feels like personally for us is the feeling that actually, our friends and family love us, and are genuinely and sincerely happy for us and our union. People have come out to openly express how happy they are for us, how they feel so excited for us, and how they are there to help if we need any at all…


The excitement and enthusiasm rubs off, and suddenly, we feel excited too. But the excitement isn’t so much about the act of getting married, but the fact that a lot of different people, from different areas of our lives will be gathering together for a night just for our sakes. Relatives and friends from near and a far will all be there, some as far as the US….and when I think about it, it’s hard not to be moved. You see, in trying to finalize our guest list, we had to pick and choose who and how much they mean to us. But in making the commitment to come, even if it mean a 20 hour flight or 6 hour drive, we are shown how much we mean to them in return. And those who sincerely cannot be there go through great lengths to express their regret. Suddenly, there is this physical manifestation of the level of love people have for us.


And I guess that’s the part that gets me excited the most. That there are people who mean something to us, and that we mean something to them too...


So am I ready to get married?


Well... as ready as I'll ever be I guess....

Let me just check if I've been invited. :-P


Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mind telling me when you 'll acyually be getting married ?
pourque je puisse avoir une pensée pour vous deux ce jour là .

Félicitations .

Nghi

Compulsive Blogger said...

It's 30/10/10... and thank you. :-)