Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dum Di Dum Di Dum...



I've always loved this song from the very first day I heard it more than 12 years ago. I was playing the song on my computer and dancing in the goofiest of ways in front of my other half when she said a smile on her face "This song is so you..."I stopped and just gave her an even sillier smile. This wasn't the first time someone has said that to me. A close friend of mine has said that to me on numerous occasions. The only thing that bothers me is that they never consider the songs they associate with me as cool. They know that one of my old time favourite classics is this one by Billy Joel. and this one from the Proclaimers. They kind of wonder why a guy born in the mid 80's like would like music belonging to the previous generation.

Actually, I happen to know exactly why I like each of these songs. Because I think they are cool in their own way.

Quizzical by Juliet the Orange is fun because it t's one of those rare songs sang from a woman's perspective about their own insecurities about being too ugly, too plain or too whatever... and it gets projected onto this love song to the man she sings to.... asking him "I can't cook.. my toes are huge, I'm messy, I've got issues, I'm clingy.. .Are you sure you'd want to be with a girl like me?  "  And it's all sang in a rather light hearted manner. Combining humour, emotion and poetry into a melody....What's not to like? Pretty awesome piece of song writing if you ask me. I'm so hoping you'd find the song cooler now that you've read that. :-P 

As for We didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel is a song I discovered out of chance... at a Karaoke session with some buddies. Our Spanish speaking Peruvian buddy and his good friend started singing (or rather screaming) it... and by the end of the song, I was speechless... both at their singing.. and the lyrics of the song. I've always been interested in History. And this actually a running social commentry of current event all they way from the 60s to 80s... in the form of a song! How can you not find that cool? I mean.. it even rhymes! I don't care if anyone else thinks its geeky or lame. I love it.

And that last one.. 500 miles by the Proclaimers.... it's a song sang by Scottish twin brothers about a man that would..... walk 500 miles and 500 more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to fall down at your door.... tadadada... tadadada..tadadadumdadaddadum..dum... Actually.. I just like singing along to it. It's not really awesome in any hidden way... just really really fun. :-P

Anyway, it's 2.00am as I write this. I'm pretty sure tomorrow I'll be cursing myself in the morning for singing silly songs in the middle of the night instead sleeping. So good night folks.... If you have a lame song that you secretly find cool for reasons of your own... do share it with me!

Cheers!


No comments: