Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Coveting Heart...


Do you ever find yourself wanting the things you shouldn’t be wanting?

Do you ever find yourself coveting other people’s things? Their car, their house, their phone, their shoes, their cloths…. How about their wives? Or maybe it’s not their wife…. It’s their husband,  their girlfriend, or boy friend. Whatever you call it, it’s basically not yours. But you want it anyway. And deep in the safe dark corners of your mind, you allow yourself to wonder and imagine, just how, if and when you will one day reach out your hand to taste that piece of forbidden fruit; how thrilling it would be; how rewarding; how sweet it would be.

What is initially pure admiration; looking at something good and appreciating its beauty, quickly becomes coveting; looking at something good and appreciating its beauty, then wanting to make it yours.

Have you ever felt that way? Wanting the things you know you shouldn’t want?

If you say no, then you are lying. Either to me, or to yourself.

At some point or another, we’ve all wanted what other people have.

At its most innocent form, you sit down for dinner at a restaurant and as you do, you see and smell what the table next door is having. Your mouth waters, your stomach growls, and you decide in your mind “I want that.... whatever that guys having, I want that.”

Then you settle into your seat and save for the waiter. In doing so, you spot a beautiful sexy woman; your eyes follow down the lines of her plunging neckline and rest upon the beautiful curves that rest beneath her silky dress. Your mouth waters, your loins tingle, and you wish in your mind “I want that… whoever that guys bedding, I want her.”  

You could say these are two very different things; that the first things is innocent while the second is immoral.

But I beg to differ.

The object of desire is different. But they are the same thing. You are wanting what belongs to someone else.

Either way, I have done both.

I have made greedy looks, many times, at many things.

and lustful glances, many times, at many women.

Some days, when I am at my best, I flee. I move far far away from the source of that temptation.

Other days, when I am at my weakest, no amount of running seems to help. The body runs, but the mind guides it right back to when you started. Like a person running a full circle.. only to come back to the point he first started. Ten I realize it’s my own heart I need to escape from.

Have you ever felt that way?

No comments: