Friday, September 23, 2011

Sad News




Various Artists - Amazing Grace Mp3
Mp3-Codes.com


I received an alarming message from my brother early in the morning.

"I just got news... Ah Ma is dying..."

11.00pm I got another message from him


"Ah Ma just passed away. She breath her last breath just moments ago."


What sad news to start the morning. After lunch I made my way back to KL.. there was to be a Wake on Saturday and a Funeral on Sunday.. then it was back to Singapore for me..

The 4 hours drive back north, my thoughts lingered on my grandmother. She was the typical chinese grandmother type.. wearing floral 'ah  ma' cloths as sort of a uniform, swearing profusely in Hokkien whenever she was angry, and always reminding us not to talk while eating dinner. That was before the stroke. Her last few months of life was spent mostly in bed. She could neither move, talk or feed herself anymore after her second stroke. The last time I saw her, I wondered which would be crueler... keeping her alive and in pain like this, or allowing her to die a natural death. I guess the question is moot now.

Her death isn't unexpected, but sad nonetheless. I have many mixed feelings in receving this news. I was never particularly close to her. Yet there are things about my relationship with her that I remember till today. Many small incidences, insignificant as they were, somehow remain embedded in my memory even till today. I will write about it more when I get the time.

She was my grandmother, the mother to my father. Her blood runs in my veins too. Without her, there would be no me today. And for that, she has always had my respect.


May your soul ascend to the skies and find its a welcome in the house of God where from above, He, and now you, watch over all of us...

Rest In Peace Ah Ma....