Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Movie Wrap Up 2010

On the lighter note of life, I’d just like to highlight some of the the more memorable movies I managed to watch (or remember) from 2010. It's not a review.. just an opinion on each.

#1 Inception
  

I hated Leo DiCaprio early on because of Titanic. Too many crying women walking out of the cinema just convinced me that this man was pure evil. Then Blood Diamond came along, then Catch Me If You Can, then another and another.... till finally when I finished watching Inception, LeoDiCaprio went right to the top of my 'actors-who-actually-have-talent-in-hollywood' list.

Inception is so mind boggling, technical and out of this world, yet so well woven together, emotional and engaging that most people didn't even mind that they confused half the time. Never mind that trying to explain the movie is so difficult. The word AWESOME pretty much sums it up anyway. Great cinematic, good actors, well written script and storyline (albeit a bit complicated).... and just general points of awesomeness...


IN SHORT : The Most Awesome Movie Of the Decade... possibly. And that's a lot coming from me
IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT : Go watch it or you'll never forgive yourself.


#2 Narnia: Voyage Of The Dawn Treader






I guess Narnia requires no further introduction. This third instalment has proven to be the best one yet. While outwardly it looks like a straight forward fantasy movie for kids and adolescence, the movie packs a lot more punch than it explicitly reveals. A lot of Church goers would find it hard not to nod their head or whisper to themselves because a lot of Christian values intricately are demonstrated throughout the entire movie. The author of the story is of course none other than the great writer CS Lewis... a giant in modern Christian writing.


The movie is very good, but not just because its particularly 'christian'-ny. It doesn't try to be at all... and everyone (christian or not) will be able to identify with it. Themes like love, trust, hope and faith are known to all men. Battles against greed, envy, corruption and the darkness within us is something we all face in life. It's both a simple and meaningful movie to watch.


IN SHORT : A good dose of 'good-over-evil' that will make you want to be a better man.
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT : Go watch it... its good stuff for the soul.


#3 Tron




I suspect Piranha was probably the worst movie of 2010, but I stayed cleared of that movie so I remain blissfully ignorant. However, Tron probably isn't too far off either. It takes the cake as the WORST movie I've seen in 2010. To put it midly, the show is retarded. Everything about it is retarded. I paid extra tp watch it in 3D hoping to feast my eyes on some uber cool graphics and cinematics. I did get some, but for a movie that looks so good, it sure did a good job of coming out as a load of shiny shit.

The storyline never takes off, there are so many holes in the movie and I keep on wondering where the exciting part is supposed to come. The Digital World is never properly explained, the character Tron just drops in our of nowhere and the main characters themselve seem even more retarded. The movie may be about some people stuck in digital limbo, but I felt pretty stuck in limbo watch it too. It goes nowhere...and the only place it takes you, is out the door. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh. But there is a minimum depth / quality requirement all movies should meet.. especially one with as big a budget and hype as this one.


IN SHORT : Have I mentioned a load of shiny shit yet? And also retarded
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT : Good for you!

Cheers everyone.

No comments: