Monday, February 15, 2010

All the Fuss

Have you been driving lots of water?
Yes.

Enough rest?
Yes.

Plenty of vitamin C?
Yes.

Can I eat that?
No. Heaty.

What about this fried thingy?
Absolutely... NOT.

What about the coffee then? That looks good.
OK. I'll let you have a sip. But just a sip OK?

I was being told what I can and cannot do... but I wasn't about to complain.

"You see la... overwork yourself some more la. See now, sick already."

I gave a sheepish smile. It was exactly the kind of nag you'd hear from a mother/sister/wife/girlfriend who was too proud to get all soft on you and comfort you, but still needed to show that they cared enough to make a fuss over it.

"I've been resting, I've been resting!" I respond as I sip my cup of hot chocolate. She didn't allow me to order coffee, but I guess that was OK. 

I had been sleeping practically non stop for the past few days. My body ached everywhere, I had fever, sore throat, cough, a blocked nose and absolutely no appetite. Happy Chinese new Year indeed. By the third day, I decided I needed to get out of the house, even if I was still a bit under the weather. I'll be damned if I spent my entire holiday sitting at home getting well only to recover in time to go to WORK. So out for coffee it was... with as-good-as-a-sister of mine who had been checking on me to see if I was recovering. She had been constantly hounding me to see a doctor, drink plenty of water and take medication. I absolutely resisted going to see a doctor, so the least I could do was make an appearance to show that I was recovering well.

This was the most fuss anyone had made over me for the past 3 days.....come to think of it.. the most fuss anyone has made over me in 3 months. Very honestly, I enjoyed being fussed over at times like this. Being sick is the one time I feel like I deserved to be fussed over without needing to feel guilty. In some ways, I like to think that if someone fusses over me, it means that they care about me, and that I mean something to them. Otherwise, why would they bother?

I guess I kinda miss that. Feeling like I mean something to someone.

No comments: