Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Wonder Years....



You know, more often than not I like thinking of my life as one big drama series. I think you already know that by now. But what I just realized last night was that if there was one drama series that truly reflected how it feels for me, this would be it; The Wonder Years. 

I remember watching it when I was 12. By that time, the series had already ended and I was just watching reruns. But if you've ever seen even a snippet of this show, you'll very quickly realize that it's one of those timeless shows that never really go out of date. The story is told from a narrative point of view. It told mostly from the point of view of Kevin, a boy who's heart is all for the love of his life Winnie....and how the two of them grow up from junior high to finally leave college. They discover the joys and pains of life, the simplicity & complexity of love, and mostly about living life. I kid you not, every single episode was nothing short of wonderful, with tonnes of quotable sayings about life or love or what have you. Anyway, watch a few of it on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.

I'd sit GLUED to the TV, refusing to take any calls, refusing to budge until I've watched the whole episode. And since I couldn't record it, and there was no such thing as youtube back then, blink and you WILL have missed it. I think I was already a sucker for all these bitter-sweet-conflicting-emotions-everything-is-a-mess-but-oh-so-wonderful shit. And the fact that the story was told from a narrative and retrospective point of view just made the whole thing more appealing to me. I'm not sure if I liked the show because it was retrospective, or if I grew up to become retrospective because I watched shows like that. Hmmmm... 

What I remembered most about that show was basically about how much I identified with the main character Kevin. He always had a kind of in-built dry sense of humour about life, he was often emotionally conflicted, and his heart was often all for Winnie.... a girl he loved with all his heart from the start... till the very end. They never ended up together, (he married someone else much to the heartbreak of most followers), they still loved each other and remained special to one another, having made a promise full of passion to always be together. I know I was only 12 at the time but damn....... it reminded me a lot of myself and how my mind operated. I don't mean to exaggerate, but I don't think any other show ever had such an impact on my young mind at the time. 

Anyway, as much as I wanted to at the time, I never did get to watch all the episodes of the show. And watching a few again last night just reminded again how much I still do.

You know what? I'm going to start looking for it. All six seasons.....  

Oh, and one more thing, the song for the closing credits stuck in my head for good, and last night, for the first time in 13 years, I heard it again.. EXACTLY the way I remembered it.

Boy did it bring back memories for me....old ones, new ones, but all, wonderful ones.... 


No comments: