Monday, September 13, 2010

Creativity? Me? Nah...

I was watching this video on TED



And what the speaker was talking about really strikes a chord with me. Especially the part about how some writer / poets / composers receive their inspirations in waves. That they can be in the middle of something totally unrelated, and all this creative inputs just suddenly come flooding in…. and all you can think of doing is grabbing a pen and writing it down before it’s lost forever.

I get that a lot…. Strangely it happens mostly when I’m driving… when I can’t possibly write it down.

The other thing she said was also about people involved in creative output then to be a little… well… a little loose in the head… meaning mentally unstable… and have this tendency to be manic depressive… Ouch..

Someone one said to me that I seem to have tendencies to go between to extremes emotionally..and I think that person had it spot on. I do find myself going back and forth between moments of total enlightenment and complete despair. But then I think to myself… “Wait a minute..she’s talking about people who have CREATIVE OUTPUT…..

I can’t paint, I can’t sketch, I can’t sing, I can’t compose, I can’t draw… I can’t do any of these so called ‘artsy’ stuff…. Heck, I’m a trained engineer thought to think about problems and provide solution in a systematic, logical, effective and sensible manner. Not exactly a melting pot of creativity in my line of work. I’m not creative… AT ALL. Creative people think out of the box…. I’m the guy who actually draws the freaking boxes…

So it’s either I’m actually doing something totally not inline to my natural inclinations… or you are reading the words of one seriosuly seriously misguided engineer... 

No comments: