Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A New Friend

I know this is going to sound so childish...but I made a new friend that day. His name's Roger.

First impressions ; Roger's a nerd. A computer programmer who stays at home most nights, has 2 twin sisters, enjoys being a couch potato and likes watching movies on Wednesday nights at the cinema when there's a special discount. He looked more nervous talking to me than I was talking to him. He wasn't very good at creating conversation and tended to avoid eye contact. I'd have to admit that there were more awkward silences than I'd normally tolerant. Basically, Roger wasn't the kind of guy girls are normally attracted to, nor the kind guys like hanging out with.

But I decided Roger's going to be my new best friend... from in church at least. I'm a sucker for underdogs you see. I want to be on the side that no one wants to be on. Someone told me that's somewhat of a Anti-Establishment-Post-Modernist way of thinking.... whatever that means. There were plenty of other more socially competent people around, but Roger convey a kind of unpolished but genuine sincerity in befriending me. I know because he hovered close to me even as others came up to talk to me. And the next day, I immediately got an invitation from him to watch a movie. That swung my vote completely to Roger. He was sincere. That was important to me.

In my books, sincerity counts for much more than charm, wit or any other quality you might think matters. The great thing about sincerity is that it's hard to fake. The problem is, it's not easy to convey.

For now at least, I think he's a sincere guy. Plain, simple, ordinary people tend not to have ulterior motives. They just want to be friends. I duno.. I might be wrong... but I kinda like having friends like that in the mix. Male friendships tend to be like that sometimes. They are uncomplicated. They don't talk much. They tend to rely more on social activities to establish bonds with you i.e. watching a movie, playing games, sports... anything that does not involve you needing to pour out your deepest darkest fears and insecurities.

Having said that, I do remember complaining to someone some time ago about how I felt the need to shed some of my older friend and gain a few ENGLISH speaking ones.... which I gladly did to some degree. And as socially inept as Roger may seem at first impressions.. I'm glad he speaks English.

And who knows.. his twin sisters might turn out to be pretty hot!

Just kidding....

:-P

No comments: