Thursday, August 5, 2010

Good Works

She calls out to the man on the street
"Sir, can you help me?
It's cold and I've nowhere to sleep,
Is there somewhere you can tell me?"

He walks on, doesn't look back
He pretends he can't hear her
Starts to whistle as he crosses the street
Seems embarrassed to be there

She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
Can't walk but she's trying

Oh think twice, it's another day for
You and me in paradise
Oh think twice, it's another day for
You and me in paradise

Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise

I thought twice today. I passed one of them and ignored them as usual. I already knew how I felt about them.... but I didn't stop to think what it was she was holding in her arms. Then I realized... it was a baby. I turned around, walked up to her.. and emptied all the loose change and small notes I had in my pocket and put them in her dirty yellow bowl.

She bowed her head in thanks. But I dared not look into her eyes. I was ashamed in some ways. Whatever I was giving, I knew it was not enough. Spare change doesn't qualify as philanthropy.

And now I find myself wondering - why is it that dying to self is still not evident in my life? Why does it not come naturally? If I am truly renewed... why is there no fruit to show? Where are my good works? Can it be.. . that I am in fact... still lost?

*shrugs*

No comments: