Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bad Road Karma

I've been on a bad streak.

I've been involved in 4 accidents in as many weeks. Just minor ones actually but still....

Accident #1
Breakfast Sunday morning after church. Parked my car near a coffee shop and had myself a delicious hearty Malaysian breakfast with my family... and came back to see my car with a nasty dent on the right rear. Some bozo had knocked into my car and just drove off. Curse you! But hey, I was in a good mood. I hadn't been home in weeks, so I tried not to make too big a deal out of it. But I had quite a lot of explaining to do to my boss since it's a company car.

Accident #2
This was squarely my fault. IT was just at the traffic light in front on my place. Had a lot of things on my mind, wasn't quite paying attention to the road. I was just leaving to Singapore (again) wasn't quite happy that I couldn't do all that I wanted before returning. Saw the green light and slammed the accelerator pedal..and rammed straight into the guy in front. SHIT! Luckily, it was a nice guy. Paid him a sum and spend the next 3 hour drive down south in a VERY shitty mood.

Accident #3
Hate these bloody car parks in Singapore. All the cars are so close together. Everything's either reverse parking or parallel parking. And I swear you need to be a professional car stunt driver to be able to park confidently in such tight corners. Anyway.. I kinda 'bumped' into the guy in front when I was trying to park. "Oops.." I said to myself. Luckily there wasn't anyone and the damage only cosmetic (honest!). I guess what goes around comes around. People bang you, you bang people. Some call it karma, I just call it shit that happens when parking your car.

Accident #4
This was totally not my fault. I was at a checkpoint waiting to tap our access cards that raises a barrier before driving into a certain restricted zone. There was a small slope. The guy in front of me was looking for his card or something. Didn't pull his hand breaks while searching through his glove compartment.. and his car came rolling down.... straight into my car. I blasted my horn.. but it was too little too late. FARK! "Well, thank you very much God... Is this supposed to be the part where my day can only get better?" I wondered. I would have reversed, but then I'd just bang into the guy behind me. Didn't help that it was an old man behind the wheel and I really didn't have the heart to be mean. It kinda made me wonder if more old people get away with road accidents than younger people.

Anyway, I don't know what the hells going on. Maybe it is bad karma. Maybe I'm paying for traffic offenses done in a past life. :-P

But I think I've just not been paying attention when driving. I've been on the road a lot in the past few months. More often than not, I go into this 'autopilot' mode and my mind tends to drift off to other things. And believe me, I've had quite a lot on my mind. I got a royal scolding by my mom and one or two beloved friends for 'making them worried & upset'. "Make sure you're rested before you drive!... No going at 140kph!.. Do not make me worry about you, understand?.. The funniest one was - I'll kill you myself if you get into another accident." It kind of left me confused. Not sure if I should have said thank you or sorry... so I just said both. 

To be honest, it felt kinda good to be fussed over. I guess meeting multiple accidents does have its small perks. I tend to wonder sometimes if people really care.. and it's nice to personally experience the answer.....even if it comes in the form of half-annoyed-half-concerned nags.   :-P

No comments: