Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Geek At Heart

Someone asked me a few days ago if I was a geek.

"What's the definition of a geek?" I asked.

"Someone who's a know it all." they said.


I thought about it. Am I a know it all?


It's second nature to me to want to learn more about the things I'm interested in. It's not to show off. I don't go around trying to be snooty about how much I know. It's more for personal satisfaction. I feel more connected to the subject. It feels more intimate.


I can't like and love a person without wanting to know more about them. And similarly, I can't love a subject without want to know more too. I soak up every detail I can get my hands on when I come across something that interest me, be it about history of Brazilian bossa nova  music, the detailed account of the invasion of Normandy or convoluted conspiracy theories about secret human culling efforts.


I thought about a while and finally replied my friend:


"I don't know if I'm a know it all... But I do enjoy learning about new things all the time. If that makes me a geek, then.. I guess....yeah man! I'm totally a geek!" I proudly replied.

After all, it was once said - The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge - Bertand Russel

No comments: