Friday, March 19, 2010

Doing Onto Others




More Free Music at MP3-Codes.com


Someone asked me yesterday why I bothered wishing someone well as they said their thank you and goodbyes.

It was a well known that this particular person was at times a rather shifty character, not always honest, didn't always have your interest at heart when dealing with our company. Personally, I never felt 100% comfortable with him either. He spoke too soon and too smoothly for my taste. I know the man had a business to run and profits need to be made, but I'd always get the feeling that he was trying to rip you off all the time. Anyway, things didn't go so well in his business and his company finally faced closure. (Maybe I wasn't the only one who had that suspicious feelings after all).

"What for you wish him well. He's a blood sucker" my colleague emailed me.


"You don’t wish him well, the lightning will come down and strike us leh. Upstairs is watching!" I replied.

I knew why I was still wishing this guy well despite my reservations about him, but I didn't quite know how to explain it to my colleague without sounding preachy. But I decided to quote scripture anyway, as uncomfortable as that made me feel.


Luke 6:27-36

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Now, don't get me wrong k... I'm NOT a holy person. I'm not the sort of person who incessantly quote scripture what more to colleagues. Religion isn't something you discuss often in the workplace. But I do believe with all my heart that that's how you should treat others; in your actions, words and even your thoughts. To me, wishing him well isn't just saying 'all the best'.. but sincerely hoping that things turn out well for them, regardless of what happened in the past. It's not easy. It takes a lot to genuinely give someone your blessing when they have done a wrong against you. I have tried keeping an angry & vengeful heart. But it's like taking poison yourself and hoping the other person suffers. You're only killing yourself

I tell myself that if I were in their shoes, and I did a wrong against someone, I would hope that they would forgive me too. It's with that in mind that I readily give my well wishes and blessings to him. In a way, it's a selfish act. I bless because I want to be blessed. I forgive, because I want forgiveness. You don't demand it. You just give it, and hope that it will come back your way some day when you need it

I have been called lenient & soft for behaving this way before. In fact, they say I'm a royal sucker because I'm constantly allowing people to take advantage over me because of my ideals. They tell me that if I forgive to easily, people never learn their lesson. There's little place for ideals in this world. It's a jungle out there, so live by jungle rules or perish. Maybe these people have never felt the need for forgiveness and blessings in their own lives. But this sucker certainly does.

So all the best to you my friend. Here's to wishing you well. I meant it yesterday, today and all the tomorrows from here on. 

May the angels protect you
Trouble neglect you
And heaven accept you when its time to go home
May you always have plenty
The glass never empty
Know in your belly
You're never alone

May your tears come from laughing
You find friends worth having
As every year passes
They mean more than gold
May you win and stay humble
Smile more than grumble
And know when you stumble
You're never alone
 

Lady Antebellum & Jim Brickman - Never alone

No comments: