Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The 100 Dollar Bill


Around 3 years ago, I left these shores for the very first time to complete my studies in Sheffield.

I was a bundle of nerves. I had no experience traveling overseas, I was doing it alone, and I didn't have nearly as much cash in hand as I would have liked. Just a few weeks before leaving, my aunt who lives in the US came up to me when we were visiting and quietly slipped a 100 US Dollar bill into my hand. "I can't take this money." I said to her. "Just hold on to it. In case you ever find yourself in a tight spot, use it." she told me. I thanked her gratefully and accepted the cash.

I clipped the money in between a book and left a few weeks later. I told myself I would never use that 100 dollar bill unless it was an emergency. For some reason I felt like I wanted to go and come back with that money still in my hand.

By the end of my stay, I felt proud that the bill was still left untouched. I had survived without ever having to resort to that emergency money though I had been tempted to use it on more than 1 occasion.

But something happened in between. I met someone, and an unexpected friendship kind of developed. We spent a lot of time together, and spoke a lot to each other in those times. I think being abroad together without your friends or family, the sense of togetherness & comradeship amongst us sort of took center stage. We cared for each other, watched each others backs, shared meals, shopped together but mostly kept each other company.I remember on my last few week there, there were 3 simple things I told her I wanted before forever leaving - A cup of that cheap but tasty yogurt we'd buy from the local supermarket, a meal & a drink at a local bar called the Bankers Draft..... and lastly, one last evening stroll with her  in Norfolk park.... the park we spent so many days playing football, watching others walk their dogs.... the park I had come to love so much. I told myself I'd return and walk those trails again.... hopefully with someone I could explain it's significance to. I'm kinda lame and boring that way you see.

Anyway, I digress. By the end of it all, it was time for me to leave. She was staying back to find some work, hopefully for a year or two. I knew just how much courage it took her to stay back all alone. Most of us were leaving. She and I were close, and I cared a lot about her. But I didn't know how else I could possibly help without actually being there. A lone woman trying to make it all on her own in a foreign land, thousands of miles from home, she had more mettle than most people realized.

She had told me about a favourite book of hers. The first chance I got, I went out and bought that book, as a parting gift for her. And that was when the idea came to me. I took my hundred dollar bill and slipped it in the book I was going to give her. With it, I wrote a thank you note, writing about how much more meaningful these times had been having her around. I explain the origins of my hundred dollar bill and told her it was hers to use in case of emergency. My wish for her was that it would never have to come to that, but if it did, at least it was there. I also said that by the end of her stay,  she could either pass it on to someone else who might need it... or she could bring it back to me. I didn't know if she'd take it seriously.

"If that happens, then this note, and our friendship would have come full circle." I said. After that, we said our farewells and parted ways.

Two days ago, a familiar face not seen in 3 years appeared before me, and proudly held out a hundred dollar bill.

I could not help but smile in ear to ear. I don't think anybody understood how meaningful that was to me. To everyone else, it was just someone passing a hundred dollar bill. But to me, it was a full circle 3 years in the making.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this a great affinity that both of you have, nice !!!

Cheers,
POD

Compulsive Blogger said...

hey POD... Thanks. Haven't heard from you in a while. :)

LA said...

Just started reading your blog, and I really like it. Suits my sentimental mood at the moment, just finished watching forest gump, which actually made me cry like a baby.

And yes, I did read that other thing about you crying as well, and I found it comforting in some way that another adult did experience that movie the way I did.

I really like your blog, and I'll be reading from time to time :)

Compulsive Blogger said...

Dear LA,

Thanks for dropping by. Thank you so much for your comments. I dont write as often as i used to anymore. But u are most welcomed to read on! Feel free to drop me an email if u ever have something to share too.

Cheers!