Sunday, April 18, 2010

A song for you

I don’t know how true this is for other people, but specific songs tend to remind me of specific people. Whenever I hear certain songs, my thoughts inevitably turn to them. There aren’t really any clear associations sometimes, and sometimes, the link between the song and the person is obvious, other times it can be rather obscure. Just for the fun of it, here is some of it:

All Backstreet Boys songs – Reminds me of Thilaga because she was so crazy about them during high school. I insisted on calling them the Backside Boys.. just to take jibes at her. She seriously hated me for that.

All Tamil songs – remind me of Suresh who overloaded me with enough tamil songs to last a life time during his wedding. The speakers were so loud it caused a power overload that short the circuits and threatened to burn down the whole hall, along with everyone in it.

I’m a slave for you by Britney Spears – My best friend during high school, Epul idolized Britney to no end. I hated this song, but he listened to it non-stop… said it was ‘different’. I should have figured out he was gay back then when he first started imitating Britney dance moves while singing this song.

Lips of an Angel by Hinder – Reminds me of Amanda.. a brilliant but enigmatic writer I got to know a few years ago in college. She really had a way with words… and every time I heard her speeches or read her writings, I was blown away. It’s a shame we never got to know each other better. This reminds me of her because when I got to know her, this was her favourite song. Wonder how she is now.

I’m too sexy by Right Said Fred – Another best friend from the past, Roshan…. Simply because the guy is just too damn good looking for his own good, and knows it only too well. Epul & I would roll our eyes everytime girls went gaga around him. Even the female teachers swoon at the sight of him. You could see the smirk on his face… I imagine this is the song he sings in front of the mirror in his room.

Lemon Tree by Fool Garden – reminds me of Ming, Fook & Liew…. Because when we were 12 years old making our way up to Cameron Highlands during a school excursion, the teachers forced us to have a karaoke competition for entertainment (or torture). Lemon Tree was the hottest song at the time. Don’t tell anyone, but I still know the words by heart even till today.

In the Club by Fifty Cent – reminds me of Giant who knew the lyrics by heart and convinced me that Chinese guys can sing a perfect gangster rap after all… albeit never in public.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen – reminds me of Tat.. who again knew all the words (not to mention the tune) for this bizarre & mind boggling song and sang it on our way to Penang. My hats off to you Tat. You're a great guy

Umbrella by Rihanna – reminds me of my boss (of all persons). Driving at 160kmph in the dead of the night, he belts out this song word for word… with all the ‘ella ella ella… eh eh..’. I didn’t think 50 year old folks listened to such music. I couldn’t shrugged off the image for days.

Creep by Radiohead – reminds me of Jason. He played the electric guitar, called everyone ‘dude’, immensely interested in airplanes and was this mix of a Mr-Nice-Guy & mischievous little boy. Within 10 minutes of talking to him, I knew… he was the kind of cool guy I always wanted to be. But sadly, yours truly is anything but cool.

Stacy’s mom by Fountains of Wayne – reminds me of Chev who got me hooked on the song. Chev also knew where to get the best Pork Curry Wantan Mee in KL, had a soft heart for small time businesses & an obsession with fishes. Every time I walk into a computer shop, I browse for a fish themed computer mouse to buy for her. She mentioned once how awesome it would be to have it. Still no luck.

Lau Tu Qing Ge by Ah Niu – reminds me of my fiancée… because she caught me singing this song to myself once. She found it amusing that I’d actually know the words. Says it’s exactly the kind of cheesy, tacky, folksy but oh-so-honest & sincere kind of songs I’d like. Since then, she’d giggle and look at me knowingly every time the song came on air.

Anyway, it’s just a sample list. There’s a lot more where that came from… but the list goes on and on so I better stop here.

Good night world...

No comments: