Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Uncovering Audio Diamonds III




More Free Music at MP3-Codes.com


Did you watch the movie Music & Lyrics starrying Huge Grant and Drew Barrymore? I love that show. Something about the way dry humour is peppered around the whole show (thanks in no small part to Hugh Grant''s british wit actually) just makes me smile a lot throughout the movie. I'm a big fan of dry humour. If you hang around with me enough, you might come to realize that a lot of the jokes I make, are dry in nature. You either get it, or you don't. If you have to explain it... it's not too fun anymore, unless that person catches it quickly. The problem is, not many people get dry jokes, because firstly, it takes a certain level of mastery of language to get the 'inside' joke, and the person telling the joke, and the one listening, but roughly on the save frequency. Anyway, I digress.

There is this one scene in music and lyrics where Alex Fletcher (the composer) and Sophie Fisher (the lyricist) talk about which part of a song makes it good. Here's the dialogue:

Alex Fletcher: It doesn't have to be perfect. Just spit it out. They're just lyrics.
Sophie Fisher: "Just lyrics"?
Alex Fletcher: Lyrics are important. They're just not as important as melody.
Sophie Fisher: I really don't think you get it.
Alex Fletcher: Oh. You look angry. Click your pen.
Sophie Fisher: A melody is like seeing someone for the first time. The physical attraction. Sex.
Alex Fletcher: I so get that.
Sophie Fisher: But then, as you get to know the person, that's the lyrics. Their story. Who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magical.


Apart from loving the part where Alex goes "I so get that", I think what Sophie said there was quite true. For me personally, songs with words that mean something stick around so much longer. Songs with well written lyrics tend to carry more weight with me. Don't get me wrong, I love Poker face by Lady Gaga as much as the next person, but it kinda gets stale pretty quickly because of the lack of depth.  It doesn't have to be the most brilliant, mind blowing lyrics ever before you call it good. Lyrics aren't about telling you what the author thinks, or what his opinions are, they are there to reflect how they feel, and the melody is there to emphasize the words....... and you just know... every one of us are touchy feeling creatures.  If you can capture that essence in melody, you have a beautiful song right there.

This song you hear is by Sophie B Hawkins called As I lay me down. I'm pretty sure everyone's forgotten this song because it's almost 15 years old. I wanted to share it because, well, I think it's a beautiful song... with equally beautiful and simple lyrics. Enjoy.

It felt like spring time
On this February morning
In the courtyard
Birds were singing your praise
I'm still recalling things you said
To make me feel alright
I carried them with me today
Now

As I lay me down to sleep
This I pray
That you will hold me dear
Though I'm far away
I'll whisper your name
Into the sky
And I will wake up happy

I wonder why I feel so high
Though I am not above the sorrow
Heavy hearted
Till you call my name
And it sounds like church bells
Or the whistle of a train
On a summer evening
I'll run to meet you
Barefoot barely breathing

It's not too near for me
Like a flower I need the rain
Though it's not clear to me
Every season has its change
And I will see you
When the sun comes out again

No comments: