Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yawn...

Do you want to know something?

I am seriously seriously seriously a boring person. I'm not kidding.

Yesterday night I was busy watching videos regarding theories of the empathic civilization. During the World Cup matches, I was reading on Wikipedia about the life of the Apostle Barnabas and his subtle role in bringing the Paul to the other Apostles. I was also watching a video of a speech given by Billy Graham during a TED convention on the relation between technology, faith and suffering. For some reason, I started reading about what defines a geek, and realized that I'm pretty much it. I started reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens because I wanted to know why it is considered why it is considered one of the great English classics. And while everyone else was going on and on the new hit series Glee, I was busy watching free episodes of Seinfield online, arguably the most successful comedy of the 90's that was basically about nothing at all. That was only after I had completed watching Frasier of course... the other equally successful comedy of the 90's. In between, I watch whatever youtube videos I stumble upon, off humour comic strips like these, and these which I swear no one else ever seems to get.  And that's just what I do online.

When it comes to pop culture, I'm hopelessly loss. I've never watched any of the supposed hit TV series like House, Lost, Glee, CSI or any of the sort. I'm completely oblivious to latest pop songs, not knowing who's hot and who's not. Just the other day, I heard of Justin Bieber for the first time... and frankly thought that a 16 year old baby singing 'Baby' was extremely idiotic & annoying. I have an obscure playlist consisting of the most country songs like this to long forgotten oldies like this, Bonjovi songs like this, French (yes, FRENCH) music soundtracks like this, Christian songs like this, and a dose of murderous R&B like this. That's just the tip of the iceberg... And I listen to them.. TOGETHER. Don't ask me what kind of music I like.. I'm still confused.

On weekends, my all time favourite activity still remains walking in the park in the evening. My idea of a good time is chatting over a cup of coffee, and my favourite channel on TV is National Geography / Animal Planet / Discovery Channel / History. When I go on a holiday somewhere, be it a beach, or a hill or a country side, the only thing I want to do, is NOTHING. That's my idea of a holiday.

And in my alone time what do I do? I jog. I read a bit.. but mostly I write all these silly little things that come to my head.

You might ask "Who the hell does this kind of things anyway? Exploring articles about abstract matters, reading books banished to the discount corner and the listening to the kind of music grandmothers and dead rappers approve of. Well... it seems I do. I do because I find that these are the things that interest me naturally. I don't do them because I have nothing else to do, but because they actually appeal to me. The problem starts when I start to realize that I'm pretty much the only one who seems to be behaving this way among the people I know. It's a bit of a lone ranger experience when you realize that people aren't that interested in the things that interest you. And it gets even more so when you realize that you're not really bothered that they don't - you're pretty much going to do whatever the hell you want even if it's not in sync with everyone else.

Back to what I first said, when I said I'm a boring person - it's actually a disclaimer. Because I realize that not many people find the things I do interesting, although I find them extremely interesting (hence the geek label). I'm not one of those fun guys. Many people find me to be too serious and generally.. serious people are no fun. No fun is another word for boring.

Having said that, I think some people do find me to be OK and treat me warmly. They are usually the people who are equally or more serious than I am, people who treat me like the lovable grandpa (with a few loose screws in the head) dispensing free advise, and one or two of the guys I keep locked up in my basement. But those bastards always try to suck up to me during mealtimes anyway.

Cheers

P/S : If you caught that last bit....chances are, we'll get along just fine. :-)

2 comments:

you know who :) said...

you've got to be kidding me... you're one of the most interesting people i've ever met :)

Compulsive Blogger said...

Hehehe... Well, I'd say that's because you've always been exceptional. ;-)